Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Parent-Teacher Conference

     Today, I sat in an unfamiliar seat. I sat across from teachers, as opposed to being one of the teachers in a parent-teacher conference. It was Madison's very first progress meeting since she started school almost two months ago. To be honest... I was nervous. I was wondering if they were holding back on their concerns for Madison. Was she too difficult? Too disruptive? Too "unteachable"?

    All of these fears subsided as they began to talk. They love her. They love the quiet (non-verbal), sweet-hearted, baby-faced girl that I love. They get excited when she hits a milestone, although in the eyes of someone else, walking up stairs may be nothing to celebrate, but for us (her parents) and now her teachers...... the joy and happiness of watching Madison experience new things and gain knowledge about life and her surroundings is just a great feeling. They wrote down on a sheet of paper her accomplishments thus far and what she still needs to work on.... GET THIS.......15 accomplishments (and 6 continuing goals)!

    My heart was happy, my eyes were holding back tears. I am so proud of her. I never imagined her being a part of the day as much as the other students, but she IS! I will let you share along with me in her accomplishments, because I know if you are reading this you are someone who has followed Madison's journey and continue to think of her and wonder how she is doing. **On a side note, Ava was allowed to come play in Madison's classroom today... she was so excited and had so much fun exploring Madison's class. She too had a fantastic day! She loves her sister so much!***

Madison's Accomplishments:
* Most days she does not use her stroller at all
*Does not need to have her bottle, Minnie Mouse blanket, for comfort
*Walks with her hand held, usually content, in class and outdoors
*Sits in her blue chair for 15 mins, with adult proximity, IPAD, and looks at teacher frequently during opening songs and story time
*Sits in a rocking chair and watches class during Center time
*Allows 2-4 friends to be in very close proximity using bubbles, IPAD, and other toys
*Watches her classmates intently
*Points to and activates IPAD apps
*Usually enjoys and engages in "writing" on a white board (has imitated a circle)
*Sits at the table for snack (20 mins), close adult proximity
*Activates "Eat" button on talker pad to get her snack
*Climbs up 4 steps on playground equipment, holding rails on both sides, independently with close adult proximity
*Slides down 4 foot curved slide with adult assist to sit at top of slide and by caught at bottom
*Walks on grass and wood chips with adults AND friends.
*Walks around playground equipment with two friends holding their hands (THIS MELTS MY HEART!)


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so amazing! All of you should be proud because you were all so pro-active to help her achieve. LOVE AND KUDOS TO ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Maddie! Love the update, Lori!

    ReplyDelete