School? Say WHAT?!
Madison is nearing the end of the Birth-3 program that she has been in since she was 18 months old. This is the state run program in which she has received all of her therapies through. It has been great. Since the start, she could not get up into a standing position on her own, now- no problem. She used to not signal to us any intent....now she can. She used to not play interactively....now she does. The program and her therapists were amazing..... so now that she will turn 3 on the 28th of January, those in-home services will end (Boo Hoo)....and SCHOOL for her will begin. I can't believe our little, sweet Madison will be off to school in a little over a month! Now, Ava since she has no special needs, is not allowed to be a part of the school district's program.( I will talk about Ava in the next paragraph!) So, we just had Madison's first IEP (Individualized Education Plan) meeting and it seemed to go very well. She will be receiving PT, OT, Speech, and get the attention of a Special Education Teacher, Classroom Teacher, and Educational Assistant throughout her time there. She will be attending a 3-hour 4 day a week program. OK, so now that I outlined all the details.... I will tell you this. I am scared, nervous, anxious, hopeful, excited, and wishful! I am all those wrapped into one! I feel happy and excited that she will be continuing to receive all the services she needs, but am sad that I will not be there to comfort here when she is having a "meltdown" or not understanding her surroundings and is scared. I am that Mom who will cry for quite a few days after dropping her off.....like mascara running-nose-dripping crying. Yup, I'm that gal! I know, I will have Ava with me at home still and I will be able to devote SO much more time to her, so that, I am thankful for. I am worried because I know Madison like no one else and am so worried that no one will understand what her little idiosyncrasies, actions, and non-verbalizations mean. I know what she needs when she is in distress. However, I need to let go and let Madison learn from the professionals devoted to teaching preschoolers with special needs. I need to let them into Madison's world.
After dropping Madison off at school, I am planning on taking Ava on a lot of learning and playful outings that we aren't able to do due to Madison's issues in social settings.She is a sponge, she loves new experiences and learning. She's a smart cookie! Library time, play groups, lunch with Daddy, museums, etc.... Ava needs this time just as much as Madison needs school. So, our lives and routines are going to shift- a lot, come January 30th. But like I said, I am hopeful! Time will tell!
No comments:
Post a Comment