OK, so that title might seem boring to you, but it's a BIG deal for us. Madison's therapy sessions are hit or miss. Usually more on the miss side. She doesn't like to be touched by unfamiliar people (therapists included).... so today I was nervous, since Madison didn't fall asleep until 12:15am and she was up every 2 hours and wide awake by 730. Yikes!
To give you some background, I am taking Speech Therapy classes with the Kenosha Achievement Center- which all her therapies are run through. I attend classes on Fridays from 9-11:30. We follow the Hannen therapy guidelines using "It Takes Two to Talk" as our text. So today: it was a home visit session- I was videotaped (whats the new term for this, since VHS doesn't exist?) doing an activity with Madison. I blew bubbles and focused on the words: Pop Bubbles and More Bubbles. Now, Madison has NO words. Not one. So my goal was not to get her to all of a sudden, say "Pop or More Bubbles" it was for her to recognize the words by using a gesture (touching the bubble bottle for more or waiting to pop the bubbles). I also was wanting her to make a simple 'vocalization,' any sound to show she knows she is suppose to speak even though she doesn't have the actual words. Madison did all of the above. When asked if she wanted to pop bubbles (showing her the bubbles) she dropped what she was doing and came over! Awesome! Then when I asked her if she wanted More Bubbles, she was touching the bubble container and making vocalizations! She stayed engaged in the activity the entire time!!! It was amazing!
We watched it back and I got some great comments from the Speech Therapist.... we are definitely making slow but steady progress. She even taught me some facial massage I can do with Madison to get her facial muscles moving and stretching more to hopefully help her form consonants. Madison did great through those too- she thought the massages tickled! So, today was a good therapy day.....we don't have many but today was one of them! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment